Wednesday, March 30, 2011

BikeLab ride to CicLAvia!

The Caltech BikeLab will be leading a ride down to CicLAvia on Sunday the 10th, departing at 8:30 AM from the shop. This ride will be about 12 miles (mostly downhill) at a fairly leisurely pace, though if someone wants to lead a hustle ride please contact me (since CicLAvia starts at 10, you can even sleep in a bit if you want). We will also need volunteers to help with leading the main ride, making sure no-one gets dropped.

What is CicLAvia, you might ask? Well, during CicLAvia LA will be closing a nice long path downtown through the streets from traffic, allowing cyclists (as well as pedestrians) to freely wander around without any cars to get in the way. From what I've heard, the last CicLAvia was quite a bit of fun, so we'll have to go and check out this one.

If you're feeling really gonzo, I recommend you check out the "Feel My Legs, I'm a Racer" ride before CicLAvia: 10 of the hardest hills of LA...are you feeling (wo)man enough to do it? And if you stay for the whole thing there's a couple of after-parties (one at Senor Fish starting at 2, one at Atwater Crossing starting at 4).

If you're coming please bring a spare tube for your bike so we can quickly fix it if you get a flat. I also recommend wearing sunscreen as you'll probably be out for a while at the festival. There will be water stations at the event but I do find bringing my own water a good idea nonetheless. There is no official ride back--just head back (by bike or metro) when you see fit.

Let me know if you'd like to come (send an e-mail to bikeshop AT caltech) so I can get an approximate head-count.